I have a new website that will not index with Google Search Console - any suggestions?

Options
Lori_Osborne
Lori_Osborne Member Posts: 17
edited June 3 in Ask a Question

Hi All,

I set this site up on Google Search Console several months ago and it refuses to index. It is primarily a one-page site with 4 anchors plus a hidden second page that is set to not index. The error I am getting is "Page is not indexed: Alternate page with proper canonical tag." According to Google's explanation, I don't need to do anything, but the main site is not being indexed.

When I go into the report (see below), it says No referring sitemaps detected, but the sitemap has been loaded successfully.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I don't know that I'm missing here.

Alternate page with proper canonical tag

This page is marked as an alternate of another page (that is, an AMP page with a desktop canonical, or a mobile version of a desktop canonical, or the desktop version of a mobile canonical). This page correctly points to the canonical page, which is indexed, so there is nothing you need to do. Alternate language pages are not detected by Search Console.

Answers

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 676 MVP
    Options

Have you tried manually indexing it via search console? Also, have you checked to make sure the page isnt set to "No-Index"

• Eva_Pettifor
    Eva_Pettifor Member Posts: 20 MVP
    Options

While I don't know the answer to the search console error, at least we can see your site is indexed:

• Lori_Osborne
    Options

I have tried manually indexing. And the only page set to not index is the hidden page. Thank you!

• Lori_Osborne
    Options

Thank you for this info! At the risk of appearing very ignorant, you're saying if it comes up when you start the URL with site: that it confirms it is indexed? This is new info for me. Very confusing since Search Console shows zero pages indexed and lists the primary URL as the one with issues and not indexed.

The poor guy is having a heck of a time SEO-wise since he's competing with music bt Richard Marx! I've been trying to convince him to set up a Google Business Profile for months to help!

• Eva_Pettifor
    Eva_Pettifor Member Posts: 20 MVP
    Options

Yes that is right, check out the explanation by Google: https://smallbusiness.withgoogle.com/intl/en_au/free-google-training/how-to-appear-on-google-search/#!/

A single page site like yours probably won't rank that well against a large well established brand anyway, you'd need to do a bigger site, more pages, blog articles and spend a lot of time on SEO to outrank the big guys. You'd have better success optimising it for something more localised like: "Events DJ for (Name of Town)" rather than using his actual business name.

• Bruce_McCaughan
    Bruce_McCaughan Member Posts: 132 Learner
    Options

Google won't index your naked domain (without www) as the www is the canonical path.
    As others have pointed out, the "page" is indexed, it is just that the www versio is indexed.

To be honest, I would toggle settings t force the user to www.