Question of the Week: What Should I Do If A Client Ghosts Me?

Sheyla
Sheyla Member Posts: 299 Duda Staff
edited August 2 in Discussions

Welcome to the Question of the Week! Every week we select an interesting Q&A in the community. View previous QOTWs here.

This Week, @RegalRob asked:

“Curious, when you guys send out a proposal and you don't hear back from the potential client, do you reach out to them or move on?”

Here’s what the community had to say:

@Lesli

I send a follow up email or call. But I have learned that you should never send a proposal - you should present it to them. Ideally, you want to do it in person but if they aren't in your area then Zoom works.

@Shane_Hodge

Hunt them down like an escaped convict LOL. Send and email, then just do a regular followup.

@jonolong

Reach back out to them until they tell you to go away or they sign it.

@Paul_Lancieri

Be like a Car Salesman and keep on trying. Add them to your mailing list and email them every other day until they click, "Unsubscribe". 😉

@Just_A_Moszee

I use 17 hats to send quotes and proposals that have deadlines on them. I use the platform because it alerts me when they have opened the document. So if the proposal hasn’t been opened I have an automated email that gets sent to them 5 days prior to the deadline. If they still haven’t opened it after that, I let the quote and or proposal expire and move on. I have found the clients that don’t open or review what I have sent, let alone reply to my follow up email aren’t the right fit for me.

@Garrett

Don’t rely completely on email. Very easy for people to miss messages

@Vanessa_Browne

I follow up twice. The first time a couple of days after sending the proposal just to make sure they got it (the junk folder gets a lot of action with my attachments for some reason!) Then secondly, if I don't hear back, I'll touch base a couple of weeks down the track with something like "Hi X - just checking in to see if you have any queries regarding our proposal. Would love to walk you through it and answer any questions. We look forward to working with you." If I don't hear back, I just assume they're not ready and wait to hear from them.

@MichaelB

You're not doing your business justice if you don't call them. Forget email. Call them.

@Elizabeth_Fedak

I just do widgets and I don't actually do anything outbound or send follow ups. I have had people come back months later and I just pick up the conversation when they're ready!

@Lift Division_Web Design Team

We use PandaDocs! It lets us know if they’ve opened it, how many times they’ve opened it, how long they’ve spent reading it and if they’ve forwarded it to anyone. They also sign and input their payment info into it. Now if we could integrate into our billing software…

Having this data helps us decide how often to reach out, when and also helps us understand if we need to provide more information or if they aren’t that engaged.

Devon Neubauer

I have found that (like most businesses) small companies have many, many things on their plate. A lack of a response does not equate to disinterest. It might often mean there are many other things that bubble up to the top of their to-do list that pushes a new website revamp down on their list. Creating a new website can feel like a major project to those unfamiliar with the process. I contact potential clients with compassion and express an understanding that running a small business is difficult to navigate and that I am available to help take this “perceived” heavy-lift off their plate. I also discuss expectations and what may have been discussed in an initial conversation about wants and how my estimates can be adjusted to better align with their budget. I find that often clients think they want/need abc all the way through xyz and don’t realize the costs involved. By massaging the needs and expectations with what basic fundamental functions a site will actually provide them can move a client to a yes by starting small and then adding on to it later down the road. I’ve found that clients with “wimpy” sites look at their competitors who might have 50+ pages and want something similar or better but have no idea the work or content needed to build a similar robust site. I discuss setting realistic goals and speak about growth over time. Again, educating clients on focusing their initial sites on the basics is enough to get them on the map, and developing a robust site can be beneficial down the road - but it is not necessary to improve their online presence in the near future. Lots of hand holding and educating can clinch the deal.

@Aj_Cre8

My dad always taught me that Persistence Pays Off!

Would you go on a ghost hunt? Tell us in the comments below!

Comments

• ShawnCCG
    ShawnCCG Member Posts: 4

You keep trying until you get a “no”. Most people are slow to hire. Be patient but persistent.