Do you use Duda as a subdomain on your main site?

ajrose2
ajrose2 Member Posts: 10

Hey crew 👋

My company is new to Duda and our goal is to host our blog entirely via their native tools, and make it a subdomain of our full website.

I'm wondering if any of you utilize Duda like this? Basically, we would not be integrating a wordpress or dropinblog.

The plan is to migrate all of our blogs via manual integration and ideally retain the same URL structure of "oursite.com/blog/blog-slug"

If anyone is up for sharing pro tips or learning I'd be very grateful!!

Answers

• courtneyquaresimo
    courtneyquaresimo Member Posts: 181 Leader
    edited May 2022

@ajrose2 Are you moving over the entirety of your website and blogs over or just looking to host your blog with Duda? Im not so sure you can have your site hosted somewhere else and just the blog here on Duda.

If you're moving everything over, this is no issue. You would manage the blogs directly in the platform and when you publish them they will publish just like the url you put here.

We blog on our website with Duda as well. If you want to check it out, you can view how we do it here - https://www.quantifimedia.com/trends-and-insights

We call our Blog, Trends and Insights but you can change the url to blog right in the website editor.

Feel free to message me if you need any more help with this. Can definitely walk you through the process.

• ajrose2
    edited May 2022

@courtneyquaresimo thanks so much for your answer! This is helpful and nice to hear.

To answer your question — to start we just want to host our blog on Duda. We have our own site, so the Duda blog will be linked in our top nav. Eventually we'll work to build in vertical pages + use cases, but for now keeping it blog editorial.

It seems like this this shouldn't be an issue. I might take you up on a walkthrough on the process as we get closer to launch lol

• courtneyquaresimo

Would love to help with a walkthrough when you get to that step!

• ajrose2

@courtneyquaresimo I'll keep you posted! I'm not sure if you did the same thing with an old blog but my current steps are:

• 1. Build out site aesthetic
    • 2. Migrating all old pieces manually and publishing them on un-published site. (I'm not using an RSS feed integration because we'll be deleting our old blog and I believe RSS feeds don't retain images when that happens)
    • 3. Add domain and build into nav
  • courtneyquaresimo

Im not so sure you can host the blog on duda and then your site somewhere else though. I mean technically you can but the url would read oursite.multiscreensite.com/blog. That is the default site url. Maybe @Shane_Hodge or @Aj_Pfeil can jump in on this one? They have been using Duda a bit longer than I have. All the blogs we have are hosted on a site that is also being hosted with Duda.

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 628 MVP

Howdy @ajrose2 Aj here with Cre8 My Site! To answer a few questions (if I read correctly) you want the Blog only on Duda? Yes you can do this. You will simply publish your blog only as a Subdomain such as blog.domain.com and instead of adding the www cname that is mentioned when you publish, you will add the subdomain (in the example its blog). If you are looking for help Migrating all the post that are currently published, there really is no easy way to do it.. There is no magic button to import all post... Duda has an RSS feed tool that will allow you to upload up to 300 post, but even then you will need to manually go through and check each one for accuracy. I highly suggest reaching out to a Duda Expert or a Duda Solutions partner such as @Shane_Hodge who has a team of pros who can help out with the Migration or importing of all the post..

• Shane_Hodge
    Shane_Hodge Member Posts: 122 MVP

Hi @ajrose2 and thanks @Aj_Pfeil (wow AJ is popular this morning LOL) Welcome to duda. Yes AJ is right, (as per usual) as for migrating the blogs over? The RSS works well and helps but all the pretty stuff you worked hard on design wise does not so no choice doing by hand (Copy site) is the way. Last year we did copy sites of 1000's of blogs for other agencies its fun, I wish you well.

• ajrose2

Thanks @Aj_Pfeil ! Ideally our site structure would be oursite.com/blog/slug — but you're saying it would probably need to be "blog.domain.com"

I'm trying to avoid that so our URL structure can stay the same 😭

• courtneyquaresimo

Yes, I believe the only way to keep the url structure the same is to move the entire site over. Is there a reason why you dont want to move everything over and just the blogs?

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 628 MVP

Sadly, without moving the whole thing, you can not keep the URL structure if you are hosting two different platforms for the site and the blog. Its not possible (on any platform, that I know of) to be able to alter the URL slug if the site is not hosted natively. If you are dead set on it looking that way, you will need to do proper 301 redirects, as well as Forwarding and Masking the domain from within the DNS FOR EVERY SINGLE POST.