What Is Your 7th Habit?

Shane_Hodge
Shane_Hodge Member Posts: 122 MVP
edited May 2022 in Ask a Question

I had a great chat with my son today. He is 30 years old and has an MBA, has a super wife, and an awesome daughter with another on the way (which makes me a proud grandpa). 

He’s a great dad, he has a sensational high-level sales role and is a superstar salesman (good DNA, his mum is a top realty agent LOL) but he has been struggling, working way too hard, a lot of stress, and getting migraines of late. He was talking about getting a new pillow and a few other ideas to ease up the stress but then asked for my advice, "Give me some motivation, Dad." 

As you see in a past life I was a motivational speaker and trainer. So I went back through the memory bank, thought for a minute then I gave him my reply. 

I said, "Son, you do so much and you're awesome at all those things, but what do you do for yourself?"

As I asked that question, I was reminded of the great (RIP) Steven Covey author of ‘The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. Many years ago I had the privilege of spending one on one time with Mr. Covey and during this time he reminded me of the importance of “Sharpen the Saw”, which is his 7th habit. 

He says that sharpening the saw means “preserving and enhancing the greatest asset you have - you

We can get so busy, so tied up in the “business” part of our lives that it can dominate everything and we can easily forget the time we need to invest in other things, such as family, friends, and most importantly? Ourselves.  

You can have the greatest business, best friends, awesome relationships, and a ton of money in the bank, but if YOU, the main asset, is not right, physically, emotionally, and mentally I will guarantee sooner or later it will impact the rest. Steven Covey focused on that and his 7th habit is an awesome reminder of how important you are.

I know in my years of building businesses I have often let that saw get pretty blunt, not much one can use it for once that happens. So it's been a major focus of mine to work on that sharpness as part of my routine. I love to cook, I love to exercise and I love riding motorbikes, I love those saw sharpeners as I truly switch off.

If you don't focus, you will burn something -  knives are sharp so that's a motivator to think of nothing else when you cut up those veggies. Exercise? Shape and form need to be top of mind or injuries will be the result. Motorbike riding? Well, you can't be focused on daily sales figures or some website design as you're concentrating on what is happening ahead of you and around you as you scrape that knee around a glorious corner.

Do all saw sharpening efforts have to be physical? No. I love the adrenaline heart-pounding stuff, but it can be singing karaoke, reading a book, watching love stories on Netflix, or gardening.

As long as it's a dedicated ritual to drag you, both mind and body, away from always focusing on activities that take the sharpness away from the saw, and give you time and space to make it sparkle and shine ready for a new batch of hard work.

Do you do that? Do you make and take that, “you” time, or just talk and think about it? Well maybe it's time to “just do it” (Thank you Nike)

Hugs to all, enjoy the happiness.

Hodgie (aka TheCamel)

Comments

• Eva_Pettifor
    Eva_Pettifor Member Posts: 18 MVP

I hope your son takes this advice! He sounds like a go-getter.

My saw sharpening activities include crochet, fitness, reading, going out for a nice meal somewhere, people watching and walking the dog. Quite often the good ideas for my work pop up while I'm doing these activities even though I'm not thinking about work.

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 630 MVP

Such a powerful topic. Lots of Go Go Go from a lot of folks (us included). We definitely have been trying to take time for ourselves and our family of late. Great advice Brother.

• Shane_Hodge

@Eva_Pettifor wow Crochet love it, eating out is the best ditto exercise you definitely are into sharpening the Eva Saw, go girl.

• Shane_Hodge

Brother @Aj_Pfeil I hear ya and I love seeing the FB Pics of the Pfeil Family especially the food, but can you also post a few of that awesome Southern Food yummy.

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 630 MVP
  • Elizabeth_Fedak
    Elizabeth_Fedak Member Posts: 106 MVP

I sharpen my saw out on the trails every day up here in the mountains, although sometimes I get sucked into my phone during that ritual. 😅 I try! The dogs really force me to get out of my head in that way and are a joy to watch as they run around sniffing pine trees and chasing each other up and down the terrain. When I lived more suburban and urban, my bike commute was my time to fly and have no worries in the world, as well as popping by a cafe or bar to sit and have a coffee/drink and a think. Writing is that for me too but it's REALLY hard to make the space to dive THAT deeply LOL! Thanks for getting us out of work mode for a few minutes in a work-centric community today @Shane_Hodge !!:)

• Shane_Hodge

Hey @Elizabeth_Fedak great post I had a clear vision of you walking in those Hills with the Sound of Music ringing in my ears, "The Hills are Alive" love it. I had the chance on Sunday for the first time in three weeks to ride my road bike on Saturday and my dirt bike on Sunday. I love both but I tell you the Sunday ride, riding through the tropical jungle, it had rained for the past week so mud everywhere I had a smile that burst through my helmet I was so happy, was like a visit to Disneyland I tell you. The main thing? My phone was in my backpack, could not even hear it, so I hear you. When you sharpen the Saw? The Phone is not part of the gig. Hugs to ya Liz

• Elizabeth_Fedak
    Elizabeth_Fedak Member Posts: 106 MVP

Shaneeeee when you're in Colorado there's a dirt bike/ motorcycle trail directly across the street form me with your name all over it! https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/arp/recarea/?recid=28366 That sounds so joyous!!!!!! Bring some rain with you here, we are in a fire ban period it's so dry

• Shane_Hodge

@Elizabeth_Fedak wowowowow that would be awesome love it nothing beats the Mountain ride