Questions about Schema Markup

Options
Bruce_McCaughan
Bruce_McCaughan Member Posts: 129 Learner

I have been battling with the Duda schema markup (in Business Info).

1) With email and phone, there is a box for "label". What goes here?

2) In adding additional locations, we are not offered boxes to enter Social links for THAT location. Why not?

3) Cannot get my addresses to take. I live in Japan (fair enough, but it IS the 3rd largest economy in the world). If Google is so almighty important, and we do schema for Google, why the H. E. double hockey sticks is Duda using Mapbox???

Anyone not in 'murica have a workaround for Mapbox's crappiness?

TIA.

Bruce

Answers

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 651 MVP
    Options

So, can't answer mailbox question, but for Number 1 - the label is for the info entered. So if the phone number is for the Main Office that would be the label. If it's for sales then that's the lable.

For number 2. No clue! May need to submit an idea to the idea board as this feature may have simply been overlooked!

Hope that helps Mr. Bruce.

• Bruce_McCaughan
    Options

Thanks muchly for the answer @Aj_Cre8 ,

I tried Googling but could not find any intel. I assume, based on your answer, that the label isn't very important, and that ANYTHING can go there? I mean, if it is just "the" phone number, then is an iteration of "phone, "telephone", "Phone", "Telephone", "Tel" okay?

Regarding the other 2 points, yeah, what are the chances something got overlooked by Duda, eh? :-)

Cheers,

• Russ_Jeffery
    Russ_Jeffery Member Posts: 10 App Team
    Options

Hey Bruce,

Answers for you below.

1) With email and phone, there is a box for "label". What goes here?

The label is just a 'name' to give that phone number context. E.g. you might have a phone number for FAX, catering, billing department, etc.. 

For the purposes of schema, we only use the first (primary) number, as Schema does not accept multiple phone numbers. Additionally, Schema does not have a name field to pass, so that get's ignored.

Where you're getting confused here is that the locations in the content library is not specifically for schema -- it's generic location data that gets reused for Schema. 

2) In adding additional locations, we are not offered boxes to enter Social links for THAT location. Why not?

This is an old limitation on the Duda side. We figured that businesses would likely not have separate social accounts for separate locations. We'll look to improve this, but for now, that's the reason.

Right now Duda does not support schema for multiple locations (only the first location), so we just take the primary social info and embed that into schema. 

3) Cannot get my addresses to take. I live in Japan (fair enough, but it IS the 3rd largest economy in the world). If Google is so almighty important, and we do schema for Google, why the H. E. double hockey sticks is Duda using Mapbox???

😥 I don't have a good answer here. Maybe someday Duda can provide the option for you to manually set the LAT/LON & address to bypass the look-up. The team needs to look deeper at this.

• Bruce_McCaughan
    Options

Thank you for answering, @Russ_Jeffery . I do appreciate that.

I also appreciate that Rome wasn't built in a day.

However, forgive my frankness, then is it fair to say that Duda's "schema features" are sub-optimal, if not "meh"?

Seems like it would be better to just go back to doing it manually, I think.

I hate it when Duda (and other providers) "figure" that we all do things a certain way. Flexibility trumps ease any day of the week (when we can't have both).

Why would Duda allow us to create multiple locations when it does nothing?? Seriously, why? And surely it wouldn't be rocket science for Duda to unweld the address and lat/long from Mapbox and allow us the option to enter that important info. Why "someday"? Why not when you first implemented this?

I am sure this is probably debatable, but it seems like best practice is to place Schema on a location/contact page, rather than the Home page (where I am pretty sure Duda sticks it).

Sorry Russ if my frustration is showing. Sadly, this is just so typical of Duda. You release features to great fanfare and webinars and blogs. You get your bullet point for the sales deck. But it scores an "F" in actual usability. Frustrating because I know Duda can do better.

Thanks for chiming in and reading this far.

:-(

• Paul_Lancieri
    Paul_Lancieri Member Posts: 14 MVP
    Options

Agree @Bruce_McCaughan, this is something that needs attention sooner rather than later. Not busting chops, however, I pay a premium monthly/annual and for the price, I do expect a lot from DUDA.

Thank you for your support :)