Design Critique Hub

So this is my second attempt at this as the first one apparently didn't save and I lost it πŸ˜₯(lesson: select all copy the text before posting if it's of length just in case)

So many years ago I was part of a site called something like design feedback (can't recall the exact name) and it was a site where you uploaded your design and got critiques from other designers. At the time I found it invaluable because I was the only designer in the company I was working for. It allowed me to get in-depth critiques with a clear rationale on why rather than "can the button colour be blue because it's Wednesday". (Don't get me wrong I'm not saying client feedback isn't also important)

On the flip side critiquing others' work reinforced what I knew and also made me a better designer by really considering reasons and reminding me of the fundamentals learned in design school etc.

They had a points system similar to this community so the more in-depth feedback you gave the more points you got. It was nice to be able to critique a few projects when there was a spare 30 minutes between meetings or something.

Unfortunately, the site got invaded by bots and the creator didn't have time to work on it as it was just a pet project for them and so the site died.

I wonder if something like that could be beneficial for this community. I'm sure there are many 1 or 2 designer businesses that would benefit from some additional designers eyes to go 'have you considered x,y,z' so all our clients get the best they can and we all build up.

As a part of this community area, it's already restricted stopping the bot problem and the comment system on Duda sites would make critiquing easy although it would be nice to somehow be integrated into this community rather than necessarily being taken away to a site? Basically what I'm saying is that base parts already exist in a way.

Curious to know what others' thoughts are.

Comments

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 630 MVP

This would be an @Sheyla question.

If I am hearing you properly, you want this to be within the community right?

• Alastair_Manning
    Alastair_Manning Member Posts: 24

Correct, I thought it could be a nice addition to help designers in the community (if there's any interest).

• Thomas_Connery
    Thomas_Connery Member Posts: 226 MVP

Good question Alastair and I'd support the idea of having a forum that was specific to Duda design critique or feedback. I've seen other web builders and marketers do something similar -- even hosting live design critique webinars where they go through a handful of websites and talk about best practices.

• Shane_Hodge
    Shane_Hodge Member Posts: 122 MVP

If it works for others let it fly. Up to Sheyla. My personal Opinion if I look at the duda market its like all CMS Factional. the biggest faction? Drag and drop, Templates fast and furious. The smallest? The ones your looking for.

• community_manager
    community_manager Administrator, Moderator Posts: 297 Duda Staff

@Aj_Pfeil thanks for tagging me in this!

@Alastair_Manning

I think this is a great idea, and something that @Eva_Pettifor previously brought up as well. We currently have a #SiteReview tag which you can use to request design feedback, but I really like the idea of having a more formal review (and earning points towards the League for those reviews).

What do you think about having a weekly site review thread?

• Eva_Pettifor
    Eva_Pettifor Member Posts: 18 MVP

I think we should definitely use the #SiteReview tag (or make the name something more obvious like "DesignCritique" ?

Not sure about once per week though ... people usually want a critique on any given day as they are working on their client's site and would be after some fairly urgent feedback so they continue working, rather than waiting for the once per week post. A once per week post could get messy as numerous people would submit their designs for review and it would be hard to keep track of comments. Unless I'm misunderstanding the weekly thread idea @Sheyla ?

• community_manager
    community_manager Administrator, Moderator Posts: 297 Duda Staff

@Eva_Pettifor great points!

Moving forward, you can use the 'Design Feedback' tag. 😊

If this becomes very popular, we can create a dedicated category for it!

• Alastair_Manning
    Alastair_Manning Member Posts: 24

Thanks for that @Sheyla. Makes sense to start with small steps using the tag and expand from their if it's used.

• Elizabeth_Fedak
    Elizabeth_Fedak Member Posts: 106 MVP

I love this idea! :)

• Raj_Zavery
    Raj_Zavery Member Posts: 16

πŸ‘πŸ‘