What is the two or three things in your contracts 📃 that have saved you?

Aj_Cre8
Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 630 MVP
edited August 2022 in Ask a Question

I think it is so awesome that we have such a variety of personalities and standards when it comes to running a Duda Agency within these groups.

Recent post within the Facebook Groups have sparked a few awesome conversations.

One of which was "How do we deal with an unruly client, or how can we drop them?" (not a verbatim quote)

This let a few other Duda Pros chime in with their advice and thoughts. So the questions asked today.

• What are the two or three things in your clients contracts that have saved you so much headache?
  • How did you figure out you needed them?
  • What was your clients response when they saw it (if they saw it).

What is your best advice for folks who are struggling with clients that cause headache.

Comments

• Lesli
    Lesli Member Posts: 13

I've learned that I can not over emphasis how I host the websites I build. I thought this was clear when I talked to my clients and its also in my contract but a I had a handful of clients either forget or not understand. Which is where my contract came in handy because I pulled it up for them to review and everyone agreed it was right there is writing. I now have them initial the section that specifically talks about this in the contract.

Otherwise, Ive been pretty lucky.... Knock on wood. I am always tweaking my contract to include things that come up along the way. I think my most recent section I added was about ADA compliance and how I am not be held responsible for any of that.

One thing I have learned from my clients who have had customers refuse charges for gym/fitness membership is have your clients initial really important parts of your contract. Credit card companies side with the customer if they haven't initial the section they are fighting. So now, I make my clients initial certain sections of my contract - like the refund section.

• Aj_Cre8

That is amazing advice. I'll be adding initial spots TOMORROW. LOL. If you don't mind, what confusion were your client having about your hosting?

• community_manager
    community_manager Administrator, Moderator Posts: 297 Duda Staff
    edited March 2022

Great advice - especially ADA compliance and initialing certain sections. 🎉

• Lesli
    Lesli Member Posts: 13

Usually they don't really understand the difference between domain name registar and hosting. But also if their current website was a Wordpress site hosted using the domain registar to host it. They think I can put the new website on their current server. Since a lot of people prepay for a year or two for server/Cpanel, they don't like learning I can't use it for the new site.

• Aj_Cre8

I agree with you. With a CMS like WordPress and so many hosting options is easy for people to learn something and believe that is the way it "Has to be" when it's just not the case. Another reason why we avoided WordPress all together.

• Shane_Hodge
    Shane_Hodge Member Posts: 122 MVP

Good Question @Aj_Pfeil so here are my two favs from TheCamel.co T&C's first one as we cannot make promises on things we have no control. The second one? Coz the World has some nasty People does not mean we cant say, "Behave, or Goodbye"

TheCamel makes no guarantees that any of its products or services will increase your business, give you page one Google ranking, increase revenues, or even cure global warming, the common cold or create world peace.

TheCamel believes that the customer is not always right. If you treat any of our staff with disrespect with verbal or written abuse we will advise you of that, and ask you to play nice. Please note that all the Team of TheCamel.Co® are under strict non compete clauses with the employment contracts that they sign, should you approach any of our Team behind our back and discuss the potential of them working for you "On The Side" you could place them in Legal Jeopardy and Possibly cost them there job, so please be respectful of your relationship with TheCamel.Co® and the well being of our team. Should any of these points arise, we also reserve the right to terminate our business with you.

• Aj_Cre8

That world 🌍 ✌️ one is hilarious.

It's sad that we actually do have to get do in depth with these things.

• ShawnCCG
    ShawnCCG Member Posts: 4

One thing that always makes me feel better is we have a (what I call) a Ghost clause. If the client ghosts us mid-project and they don't reply to our contacts within 30 days we have the right to charge a $500 archive fee. The fee allows us to document where everything is so we can pick it up again when they are ready. I should note, I have never had to use it, but taking the time to highlight it and explain it to clients helps set the tone that we expect them to be responsive.

• Aj_Cre8

So if they do come back they automatically know "Boom" I just lost $500 because I wasn't communicating?

• community_manager
    community_manager Administrator, Moderator Posts: 297 Duda Staff