Render css in exported site

Options
pvelosipednikov
pvelosipednikov Member Posts: 3
edited December 2023 in Ask a Question

I exported a site from Duda. To test how it looks, I'm running it locally using WAMP. The pages load, but it's missing the css, so displaying just the html.

I changed the css ref in index.html to this:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./style.css"/>

Also cleared the browser cache. However, nothing changes. I saw this post alluding to the difficulty of actually getting sites exported from Duda to work.

What can I do to get the page to display properly?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 665 MVP
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can do a simple search in Google. Here is one link that came up. I am not familiar with any in particular, because I don't use them.

https://www.g2.com/categories/wysiwyg-editors/free

Answers

• Thomas_Connery
    Thomas_Connery Member Posts: 226 MVP
    Options

Yes, the export option is a challenge and not really usable IMO. @ScottyStrehlow, it may be a good tech article for Duda support to address in 2024. Take a basic template site, export it, and let the community know what are the main items or tasks required in order for the site to display properly on a self-hosted server. Fortunately this doesn't come up often for me, but it would be nice for agencies to be able to follow a how-to guide — even if it's not perfect.

Wish I could help you more @pvelosipednikov but I think most of us are not 100% sure how to get an exported Duda site to work perfectly. Hopefully another community member will have some helpful feedback. Good luck!

• Aj_Cre8
    Options

The CSS in Duda is Environmental Specific. The CSS is designed for the editor. When a client ask us to export a site, our terms specifically say that the site won't look the way it's does on our editor due to server reasons, and they should employ a developer to assist them.

• pvelosipednikov
    Options

Yes, that's great for the lawyers to cover the company, but pretty bad for me. I wish Duda would have an asterisk on the features page about site export stating the above - namely that there's no guarantee and that it may only render in html, without any styling.

As @Thomas_Connery wrote, if the export option isn't really usable, it should be stated as much. Just good business practice.

I understand it's in the company's interest to keep customers paying month-to-month, but I signed up deliberately for 1 month so that I can build a nice-looking site and then export it out. Although I really liked Duda's interface, turns out I probably should have gone with another company.

• Aj_Cre8
    Options

While this is a Duda Group and we are all Duda fans, I don't think what your trying to achieve should have been used in Duda. There are a lot of WYSIWYG editors out there that would allow you to build a Duda worthy Site and host it wherever you choose!

• Thomas_Connery
    Thomas_Connery Member Posts: 226 MVP
    Options

Agree with AJ. If this is your goal with Duda, I'd recommend using a different platform.

"I signed up deliberately for 1 month so that I can build a nice-looking site and then export it out. Although I really liked Duda's interface, turns out I probably should have gone with another company."

The power of Duda goes well beyond nice-looking sites. It's really about the ease of managing sites and providing a simple interface for your clients and team to manage content, billing, having the ability to service multiple sites quickly, create and leverage templates, reusable sections, white labeling, etc. Lots of value there.

• pvelosipednikov
    Options

Thank you for these insights and recommendations. As you can tell, I don't have much experience with building sites, and it seems the marketing of the popular web-builders led me down the wrong path.

The team-work aspect is what initially attracted me to Duda (and competitors like Webflow).

@Aj_Cre8, can you provide an example of one such WYSIWYG editor that's intended for one-time site building and hosting anywhere that you have in mind?