Add Page Path to Paperforms Submission in GA4

Options
EdWalzak
EdWalzak Member Posts: 28
edited January 11 in Ask a Question

Hey All,

I want to see the page path that the paperform is embedded on as the Page Path dimension in GA4, not the page path that paperform creates.

For example, a paperform on my contact page is embedded on /contact.

I currently have the GA4 Data Stream tag in the "Google Analytics" field in my form configuration, and the Page path dimension for Paperform's "SubmittedForm" event is something like this: /?embed=1&takeover…….

I want the Page path dimension to be recorded as "/contact" instead.

I can't get the Paperform to load in Tag Assistant to see what is happening on submission, so I'm not sure which is the best way to accomplish this. How do you debug GA and GTM in Paperform?

Do any of you have a preferred solution? Did you add GTM in Page Load Scripts and create a tag or just add a successful submission script? Does either of these solutions have priority over writing to the Page Path dimension in GA4?

Answers

• EdWalzak
    edited January 19
    Options

Update: Spent a bunch of time online with Paperforms support chat. Paperforms sends the full page URL in a parameter 'dl' that is captured in the page_location dimension.

For the SubmittedForm event, they are pushing the paperform url:

https://PAPERFORMID.paperform.co/?embed=1&takeover=0&inline=1&popup=0&_d=YOURDOMAIN&_in=0arrow_right

So anyway next steps are to write custom event custom successful submission script and try to make it supercede this data sent from Paperforms. Not a developer, just kludging my way through it.

Continue to watch me solve in public, or if you've written a custom successful submission script for Paperform please share.

• EdWalzak
    Options

Update:

SO! The same origin policy makes it impossible to pass info from the iFrame parent.

Aside from the referring URL, you can't get any more info.

I tried to use a tutorial on Stack Overflow to use postMessage but no luck.

The only option Paperform could give me was to have a hidden field that is pre-populated rom a query in the URL.

For this use case, I'm going back to Duda Forms.