How to Get Automatically Grouped Sub-Menus?

visioncraft
visioncraft Member Posts: 162 Learner

Hi, all!

We have a client that has a training business, where they offer about 30 different courses, workshops and programmes. These courses are grouped into 6 categories — eg. 'Leadership Courses", "Sales Courses", "Writing Courses", etc. Nevertheless, all course pages have exactly the same content structure, making it a great use-case for an Internal Collection with a Dynamic Page, with a 'Category' field.

The problem we're having is that we'd like to list the courses within the main site menu grouped by category, rather than just have one long list of 30 courses (= bad UI/UX). We can't seem to find a way to do that automatically in Duda, and haven't been able to even find an app/plug-in that might help us with the task.

The only workaround we have found so far would be to create six separate internal collections — one for each course category — so they can be listed separately in the site menu. But this creates another problem: we also have an 'Audiences' collection, listing the different target markets each course is for — eg., "Managers & Group Leaders", "Valuable Employees", "Content Creators", etc. These are cross-linked to the 'Courses' collection via a related field. This allows us to show what courses are recommended for each audience type in the audience's Dynamic Page. But if we split the 'Courses' collection into 6 separate collections, this is not possible…

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tagged:

Answers

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 677 MVP

You can build the site navigation manually. I believe there should be an option now to add your Dynamic Pages to your menu as well.

• visioncraft

@Aj_Cre8 so that would mean that every time the client adds a new course, they'd — or we — would have to manually add the course to the menu, right? Can you think of any strategies that would allow us to have the menu grouped by categories automatically? — i.e., so that every time they add/delete/change a course, it would be automatically reflected in the menu?

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 677 MVP

Without having the site in front of me, no. Unless each category was its own collection and each collection was linked to the menu that way. That could work.

• visioncraft

Thanks for the suggestion, @Aj_Cre8 — that is what I had described in the last paragraph of the original post (along with the description of the limitation it creates).

Your previous suggestion of setting the whole menu up manually is probably the best one so far.