Duda running slow on Windows?

Options
JoeChasko
JoeChasko Member Posts: 22
edited August 2023 in Ask a Question

I confess, I was cussing Duda and whatever platform they used, because the performance was positively glacial. Sites & pages took forever to open, on my aging 16 gb 9th-gen I7 Dell desktop with 64-bit Windows 10 (now 11). I actually tried to order a new Dell Saturday, but Dell Biz was closed.

Then I noticed the 2.5 gb used by Chrome with 100 tabs or so. Hmm. Closed it out, opened a single tab on Edge, and Boom! Full speed! Overnight a 16 gb stick for $25 from Amazon, and Chrome now runs at full speed! Free memory up from 22% to 59%.

I never looked at Windows memory management, and thought that 22% free memory was not terribly insufficient. I was wrong. The screenshot shows why. The large middle portion of the bar graph is cache. Even though I have only 19 gb in use, another 17 gb is cache, leaving only 2 gb actually free, on the right end. This big cache keeps Chrome from paging to disk. Chrome is still a sprawling memory pig, but, memory is cheap!

Live and learn. From this example, you want to keep 50% free RAM in Windows to run full speed. Not less than 32 gb if you use many tabs or apps. Maybe I should get a 32 gb stick? I have a second 16 gb coming for my other dell.

Comments

• JoeChasko
    Options

Followup: still very slow for some operations. MUCH faster on Edge, so far.

• ScottyStrehlow
    ScottyStrehlow Member Posts: 307 Duda Staff
    Options

Hi @JoeChasko - I'm sorry to hear this! We haven't seen others experiencing this issue, so please reach out to our Support team so they can work to resolve this issue for you. Thanks in advance!

https://support.duda.co/hc/en-us

• JoeChasko
    Options

The problem was mainly memory - you need at least 30% free on windows. Otherwise, I just think it's slow javascript.

• ScottyStrehlow
    ScottyStrehlow Member Posts: 307 Duda Staff
    Options

@JoeChasko ah okay, well that is good to know. Thank you for following up!