Link to website through instagram page showing incorrect mobile site

Options
mjmann
mjmann Member Posts: 4

I am NOT a tech person so I'm hoping I'm explaining this clearly. We added a link to our website on our Instagram page. When I type in the website on my phone, the correct/updated mobile site comes up however, when I link to the website via Instagram (also on my phone), it's pulling up what looks like a desktop version of our site that looks like a mobile site. It doesn't bring up the contact us form so it means potentially losing new business. Help please!

Best Answer

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 665 MVP
    Answer ✓
    Options

Can you show me how you have the link set? Be sure that the link is going to the https://www version of the domain. You shouldn't be seeing a desktop version on a phone EVER because Duda uses server side technology that displays one of three sites based on the device requesting the URL.

So, ensure the link is accurate.

Ensure it has the www and the https://

If you keep seeing the issue, clear your browser cache and try again. (you can clear your cache by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Delete (Windows) or Command-Shift-Delete (Mac).)

IF IT STILL HAPPENS, contact support..

Answers

• visioncraft
    visioncraft Member Posts: 151 Learner
    Options

Hey, @mjmann , I'm not sure I understand 100% what you're trying to say… What do you mean when you say "a desktop version of our site that looks like a mobile site"? Perhaps giving us a couple of screenshots would help?

• mjmann
    Options

when I got to the website on my phone, it looks like this, which is correct:

When I use the link on our Instagram, the first pic below is what comes up instead, which is from our full website and doesn’t open right to our condensed mobile version with the easy contact us page as it should To get there you must click on the lines at the top right, then click “home” The correct page shows then but our logo doesn’t even come up:

Any ideas?

• visioncraft
    Options

It looks like you're using an Android phone. Some years ago, Android apps started using an "in-app browser". The idea was that if you were in an app like, say, Instagram, and clicked an external link, the app would open a 'mini-browser' inside the app itself, rather than letting you leave the app and open your phone's browser. The in-app browser, however, is severely lacking in features, and most modern websites will break when displayed in it. This is a well-known issue. If you do a search, you will see there are lots of complaints about it, and lots of tips everywhere teaching Android users how to turn off the in-app browser, and force applications like Instagram to open external links using your phone's default browser.

If this is the problem you're experiencing, then there's good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad news: there is nothing you can do about it, except educate your Android users. The good news is that this is not a problem exclusive to your website, and they will be having a terrible experience on loads of other sites, too — so they should be motivated to learn how to switch off their in-app browser…

In case it might help, here is an article that shows how to turn off the in-app browser in several apps: https://www.compsmag.com/blogs/how-to-turn-off-in-app-browser-for-android-apps/

• mjmann
    Options

I’m actually using an iPhone (12). Any fix for phone users?

• visioncraft
    edited September 2023
    Options

The official Meta info page about the in-app browser has this to say:

Can people use their preferred browsers to open links instead?
    If they choose, people can use the menu inside our in-app browser to select the option to open links inside the system browser. Additionally, people who do not wish to use all the features of our technologies (including the in-app browser) are able to access Facebook and Instagram through the web instead of our apps.

So, according the them, there is a menu inside the in-app browser itself which should give you an option to open links using the system browser.

But it seems to be something you have to do for every link individually, rather than a general setting…

Are you running the latest iOS?

• mjmann
    Options

Thank you for trying to help!

My phone is up to date, but even if I can correct it for how it looks on my phone, how do I correct it for everyone else who may use the link via Instagram to contact us?