Has anyone tried to make social media share widget accessible?

Options
SteveG
SteveG Member Posts: 12

At the bottom of our blog posts there is a social media sharing block. Pretty standard stuff. But, it fails in an accessibility test because it lacks Alt / Aria information and there is no 'easy' way to add it.

Has anyone fixed this issue or should we push Duda to make it WCAG compliant for everyone?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Thomas_Connery
    Thomas_Connery Member Posts: 226 MVP
    Answer ✓
    Options

@SteveG in HTML edit mode on the SHARE CONTENT widget. Within the span, try adding role="button" aria-label="Social Share Buttons"

Similar to this:

dmle_extension="shareextension" wr="false" icon="true" surround="false" description="Share" icon-name="icon-share" data-dmtmpl="true" facebook="true" twitter="true" email="true" like="true" use_new_design="true" use_popup="true" linked_in="true" design="large" share_button_text="Share" id="########" role="button" aria-label="Social Share Buttons" class="">

Save that, republish, and test. See if that works.

• SteveG
    SteveG Member Posts: 12
    Answer ✓
    Options

Excellent solution, thank you for that.

It's still technically not perfect since it covers the whole block and not each individual icon, but that's 'good enough' for now. I do think that this widget hasn't seen much love in a long time because I see Google plus in the source code :)

Now I need to play with this some more to see what I can do with it. Thanks again for the path.

• Aj_Cre8
    Aj_Cre8 Member Posts: 665 MVP
    Answer ✓
    Options

You could build a custom widget for this, or have an Expert do it for you.