Duplicate Page issues

Options

To save time I created one page for a product and began duplicating it and modifying the content on each page. A total of 31 pages. I started to notice that the images and the pop up links I added to the image sliders where changing to the last modification I made from another page.

Is this a process error on my side? If so what is the best route to create my product pages. Or is this an issue on duda's platform?

Answers

• visioncraft
    visioncraft Member Posts: 151 Learner
    edited September 2023
    Options

The cause of issues like that can be a bit tricky to pinpoint, @XPWebDesign, but I'll try to give you a workaround.

When you add widgets to your page, they may include custom images, CSS styles, Javascript script files, and other code that might be used within the widgets. In order to speed up the loading and display time of your pages, your browser will try to cache and reuse images, CSS and JS files it has already downloaded previously. This could create an issue, if your browser 'thinks' that the image/CSS/JS file you have in one page is the same as the one in another - because it will simply reuse the one it already has in its cache. Developers often run into this kind of browser caching issues when they are updating their code, because if they save the new code using the same filename as the old code, browsers will sometimes not reload the new code, and continue using the old, cached code file.

Because page loading speed is so crucial to the performance of your website, you will find that most hosting providers will actually have several caching mechanisms in place: apart from the browser caching, you might have (3 or 4 levels of) server-side caching enabled, too - eg., PHP caching for faster execution of dynamic pages, and CDN caching for faster serving of static assets. That means that sometimes, even after you save your changes, then clear your browser cache, empty its history, quit it then reopen it, you still get that blasted "old" page…

Duda does a lot to try and help out with problems like this, and the best way to avoid them is to make sure you're using all of Duda's smart features to your benefit. For example: when you duplicate a page, make sure you change the page's URL, as well as its name/title. To avoid naming collisions between your files, organise them in the Media Manager into suitable folders, and make sure all the files in a folder have unique names. But perhaps most importantly, if you are going to be in a situation where you'll have tens of pages, all using the same structure, design and layout, you should consider using Dynamic Pages & Collections.

In your case, you could make an internal collection which would hold all the data for a product - including page title, section headings and text, and all the images and link URLs you want in your slides. You then design a single dynamic template that Duda will use to 'inject' the data from your collection, creating your product pages 'on-the-fly'. By doing this, Duda will ensure that your pages will remain optimised for great loading time, while making certain there are no naming collisions and browser caching issues anywhere. Hope this helps!

• XPWebDesign
    XPWebDesign Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you for responding to my question! I may have to look into the dynamic page/internal collection if the basic plan I have will allow this. Currently, the best method I have found is to make the adjustments to the image source and pop-up link I need | preview it to verify it's correct and move on to the next one and so forth. It's a learning curve for sure but the first few sites will not be my best work as I keep pursuing this side business. Thank you again for the response and I will experiment with the suggestions soons.

• visioncraft
    visioncraft Member Posts: 151 Learner
    Options

@XPWebDesign I believe you need the Agency Plan in order to use Dynamic Pages. If you have 3 paying clients or more, it's worth considering - as the Agency Plan includes 4 'free' websites (so one for you, and 3 for your first few clients). It also allows you to white-label the platform - so when they login it looks like they're using your company's Site Editor, with your logo and colours - and bill clients directly from inside Duda, which is handy for a side business. ;-)